Tuesday, November 2, 2010

IL Disastro!

The Great Vicenza Flood of 2010

 It's a good thing I started my blog this week because there sure is a lot to talk about...and plenty of time to do it.  We're on day four of our weekend here because of some pretty serious flooding in the area.  Fortunately, we have no damage, but the nearby river has crested and is flooding out roadways.  Even parts of the highway are closed!  We're pretty much stuck here at home because we have to cross a bridge over the river to get most places...and as mentioned, those are all flooded!  Guess I'll be keeping tabs on the election results from the comfort of my couch all day!  Speaking of news...

If you know my family, you know that each of us has one topic that we spend over 50% of our time talking about.  For my sister- traveling (and making travel plans).  My brother- the weather.  My mom- asking rapid fire questions about your life repeatedly. My dad- survival stories from the Blizzard of '78.  And me- local home news.  I recently joked that if here was an emergency outside my door here in Italy, I wouldn't even know it...but I'd be the first to know about a drug bust in Quincy or another attack outside the Wollaston train station. This proved very true yesterday...

I received a message yesterday morning telling me I didn't have to work because everything was closed.  Only problem was that I couldn't figure out why!  Security threat? Power outage? No...Flood!    It's been raining a bit here, but I didn't think THAT much!  Turns out the river (Fiume Bacchiglione) that runs right through Vicenza (and surrounding areas) was overflowing its banks, washing out roads and turning cornfields into lakes.  We didn't believe it until venturing out today to where it runs through the center of our small town.  Here are some pictures of the river in the summer and today...


 

I usually run down this road.  Today it's a lake. 

 From what I can gather by translating the local news, this is the worst flooding in the area since 1966.  It's pretty bad in more urban areas where the river runs right next to major roads and homes.  Schools in the area are all closed and judging from all the Italians out river watching with us today, work is too.
River watching- An Italian spectator sport
 In other local news, the big church next door is welcoming a new priest, Don Silvano.  It's a pretty big deal and there are signs all over town...

 Apparently, we're excited about the Don being here too, because here's the sign that appeared on our front gate:





That's all from Italy.  Now get out and vote today (I did, so you have no excuse!).

No comments:

Post a Comment